Posted on Wednesday, June 26th, 2019
Thursday Night Lights – Giants vs Rams
The Nelson Giants are out of the running for the Final 4 but that will the furthest thing from their mind when they host the Canterbury Rams in the R12 dose of Thursday Night Lights in the Sal's NBL.
Interestingly the Giants (6th) are coming in off a win in R11, while the Rams head to Nelson coming off a split weekend that delivered a win at home to the Airs prior to a narrow 80-84 loss in Wellington against the Saints.
Here's 10 Talking Points for Thursday night's game live on SKY Sports and Prime TV from 7:30pm.
- Isaiah Wilkins - the star defender missed both games for the Rams last week and is expected back on court for this one in Nelson. Unlike many imports in the league who are recruited for their scoring power, the Rams went with a defensive powerhouse and they have been repaid in spades. Get set to see Wilkins back on court and creating headaches for Rhys Vague, Mika Vukona and Sam Dempster.
- TAB MVP Part 1 - both Jordan Jett and Rhys Vague continue to hold a spot in the Top 10 of vote-getters for the TAB MVP and some votes here against the Rams would be very helpful.
- TAB MVP Part 2 - Mike Karena and Cam Gliddon are on the rise in the race for the TAB MVP, both Rams have been polling plenty of votes lately and they too will be hoping to hold their current form and figure in the final voting for the prized award.
- Naar & Taylor - Canterbury's star point guards are forming a fantastic partnership, though we don't get to see them on the court together all too often. The Rams will have them out there together at times, but the strength of this Rams team is their depth and when it comes to carrying the ball both Emmett Naar and Britt Taylor are doing a great job.
- Mika Vukona - the championship Kiwi forward is getting his feet back under him and each week delivering more of all the great things he can do at both ends of the floor. There is little doubt the Giants all walk a little taller when Mika is on the court and this game against the Rams could be the one where he takes his team to the next level.
- Mick Downer - while all the awards take usually centres around players, perhaps it's time to start talking about who might win the Coach of the Year? You would have to think Canterbury's Mick Downer is in the mix given the exceptional team ethos and structure he has brought to this Rams team.
- Rams Fans - it might be R12 and your team is on the road, but with the Final 4 just around the corner at Horncastle Arena your team is going to need every one of you in the stands and cheering the hometown team on. Have you got your Final 4 tickets yet? If not, get cracking and buy them now HERE.
- Tyrell Harrison - have you checked out the recent form of Nelson's very talented young centre? Take a look and you'll see Harrison is developing and delivering to a high level. Mike Karena could have his hands full.
- Cam Gliddon - everyone knows Gliddon is a crack shot and he has been more than handy with the ball in his hands this season, especially from range, but if you've been paying attention you may have noticed the Aussie Boomer is consistently filling the stat sheet each game. He might be the most important player for the Rams right now.
- Giants Fans - last Thursday night's game saw very few Rangers fans venture out to support their team, the same won't happen in Nelson where the Giants fans will be out in full force to make plenty of noise. If there was a time to bring some intimidation and get your team over the line, this is it.