Posted on Wednesday, May 15th, 2019
Thursday Night Lights – Giants vs Hawks – 10 Talking Points
Another big game is heading our way for Thursday Night Lights with the Nelson Giants set to host Hawke's Bay Hawks.
Watch all the action live from 7:30pm on SKY Sport and Prime TV.
Here's 10 talking points to get you ready for Thursday Night Lights.
- Rhys Vague - the Giants forward is enjoying a great season and is currently co-leading the TAB MVP. His inside-outside game is arguably the best in the league and he'll need to deliver his very best to help get his team past a full-strength and in-form Hawks outfit.
- Home Court - the Giants are 3-1 at home and 0-2 away, so they'll want to make sure they continue to protect their fortress against the Hawks. The local crowd is always full of voice, so expect them to add some strength to the team as they look to maintain a winning home record.
- Brandon Bowman - one game in to his stay at Hawke's Bay and already the Hawks look an even more formidable team with Bowman in uniform. The power forward dropped some massive shots on the Airs last week and will be hoping to do even more damage live on TV. If Bowman first the Giants might be in trouble.
- Inside The Paint - a great battle looms between the likes of Rhys Vague, Tyrell Harrison and Sam Dempster up against Daniel Kickert, Brandon Bowman and EJ Singler. All six can also space the floor and spend some time away from the rim, but the showdown inside the paint should be a ripper.
- Dishing Dimes - between Jarrod Kenny and Jordair Jett you have two of the very best PGs in the league. Have fun counting the assists these two rack up!
- The Kickert Factor - after playing just 12-minutes in the opening game of the season, Kickert finally returned to the court last week and played well. Looking healthy and free of his back complaint, Kickert will be better for last week's run and could be the key factor in this game.
- Dan Grida - young, exciting and never stops running. That probably best sums up Grida, but you can't help but feel we are yet to see his best. Maybe this will be the night the athletic guard breaks out and delivers some big numbers.
- Off The Bench - as much as the starting units of both teams will factor heavily in this game, they also both possess strong players off the pine and depending on what the reserves can deliver, the bench factor might be a significant one in deciding the winner and loser of this important clash.
- Sam Dempster - the Giants forward is one of the most hard-working and reliable players in the league, a coach's delight. Once again Dempster will take on a tough defensive role and if he can shut down whoever he goes to, you know damn well it means the Giants will be right there and in contention when it counts.
- Last 2 Minutes - such is the evenness of these two teams, this contest could come down to the last 2 minutes. Experience and execution will be vital if we have close finish. By the time the final buzzer goes, don't be surprised if the heroics of someone over the last few players is being toasted.